5 frames with a Canon AE-1 Program – By Greg May

Hello old friend. We have previous. But that is ok, I’m happy to take you out and walk you around. Doing what you do best. Capturing moments in time. Moments he’d nod curtly at and enjoy. I hope.

These days, every time I shoot with the Canon AE1 Program is memorable. I usually keep the 28mm on as it is the same as my Leica Q and tends to be the way I view the world.  Together they make a light combination and one that people don’t look at twice in the street. Just another camera. Perfect for taking it places a bigger camera normally gets left behind.

The simplicity, and usefulness, of a aperture priority camera is often looked out with an upward nose turn. I for one welcome it. Sometimes it is ok for photography to be easy. To be, of all things, fun. Not a task to be mastered. Focus on the image for a while, ignore the technicalities.

All images were shot with my oddly favourite film Kentmere 400 and scanned at home with a Plustek 8200i.

Website – https://gregorymay.ie
IG – https://www.instagram.com/gregory.c.may/

Become a Patron of 35mmc

35mmc will always remain free for anyone to read. Patreon simply offers the opportunity for those who’d like to support me in the process of growing the site to chuck me a few quid a month to help out.

Think of it like a magazine subscription that you don’t have to pay, but if you do, the magazine will get bigger and better quicker!

Thanks in advance!

(there are also perks via Patreon for those who do support me)

Reinhold
    March 6, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for sharing 😉
    My own AE1 just gave up when firing the shutter. No more shutter release and no more film advance lever movement 🙁

Greg May
      March 7, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Tried getting it serviced? Mine died about 3 years ago, brought it to my local backstreet camera shop and they fixed it for me. Cost about £20 if I recall.

Dave
    March 6, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I prefer aperture priority shooting. Yeah, I can do full manual, and I sometimes do it, but if I don’t have to, why make it hard on myself?

Greg May
      March 7, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Agree with you, unless I’m trying to achieve something specific with the AE-1, it’s generally on AP.

karellen
    March 7, 2018 at 11:07 am

When using digital at 90% I use aperture priority, 5% pentax’s aperture+shutter priority (it triggers auto iso), and 5% full manual. But when working with film I prefer using full manual for two reasons: the first is that I have to think carefully to which shutter speed/aperture to use depending on the light, as I fear that letting auto could lead to too long shutter speeds and thus blurry pictures. If I am lucky I would be able to feel that the shutter stayed open too long and I would take it again, but anyway I still would have lost a frame from the roll.
    I can accept it on digital where I can check straight after the shot, but not on film where I discover it only weeks later… The second reason, not practical, is that I prefer mechanical shutters, if not for reliability I like to hear the personality of the camera that emerges in the form of all the mechanical noises it makes!

Greg May
      March 7, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Can’t not hear the shutter on the AE-1, stealth is not it’s forte!

Karl Valentin
    March 7, 2018 at 11:37 am

The Canon AE-1 was my first “real” camera but if I compare it now to one of my old Nikons
    it just feels not half the way as solid.
    The time I used it I never trusted the automatic and handled the settings manualy – so why
    a program automatic makes life easier if it dont work for 100% ?

Greg May
      March 7, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Good thing with the AE-1 is you can still shoot it without the aperture priority. In that use, it’s no different from my M6 bar the ergonomics, of which, I enjoy.

David Hill
    March 7, 2018 at 4:45 pm

That is some righteous advertisement for Kentmere 400. Or the AE1, or the 28, or even the photographer. Maybe even some of each, but Greg, you surely do work them together mighty well.

Greg May
      March 7, 2018 at 6:51 pm

David, thank you for your kind comment! For a cheap film K400 is excellent if you shoot it right. I do like it, and usually get some good images from it.

Dexter
        March 8, 2018 at 5:32 am

Any recommendations for shooting the Kentmere? I’ve bought a test roll to try prior to buying a 100ft reel for home rollling.

Greg May
          March 8, 2018 at 9:42 am

Not really, it tends to have a high degree of flexibility. It’s ok in low light and tends to do well in very bright light too. Just shoot it and see!

Patrick Copley
    March 8, 2018 at 3:55 am

It’s not aperture priority I think… either full program mode or shutter priority.

Terry B
      March 11, 2018 at 9:32 pm

My recollection of the AE-1 is that it was a shutter priority and fully manual camera only. Although the camera required a battery to work at all, it could not set intermediate speeds and which would be needed to enable it to provide full program auto mode. Early auto exposure cameras were either aperture or shutter priority only. Minolta were first to market a camera that could do both and provide programmed auto and full manual as well with their XD-7/XD-11 released in 1977.

Greg May
        March 12, 2018 at 7:48 am

Indeed, a bit more playing and it is shutter priority only. Batteries in it tend to last a long time though!