5 Frames With An Olympus OM2 SP – By Julian Higgs

Olympus OM 2 SP

Ok, I know this is not a Rangefinder, the Olympus OM2 SP is a 35mm compact camera though, a system camera I grant you, but it is compact, as others have testified.

This camera got me onto the Olympus OM system fully. I had borrowed an OM 30 from a friend and had some success with it but the wind clutch seemed to be slipping, leading to overlapping frames. My brother-in-law had this OM2 SP laying dormant in a cupboard at home in New Jersey and offered me ownership.

Well, what would you say?

Having had just started my book project with a 35 SP rangefinder, a camera featured here, I felt I needed more control. I liked the OM30 but with it’s iffy advance the opportunity to use an OM with spot proved too good to pass up.

The camera came with a scrappy but functional 50mm f1.8, and they (the camera body, not the lens) have well noted faults. Battery drain being one of the most common, these are all well documented elsewhere. However, if you just remember to take the batteries out after use its fine. Mine seems to have a tight film advance lever. It starts OK but as you progress through the roll it gets worse, maybe a trip to Luton Camera Repairs will solve this issue.

Since taking stewardship of this little gem I have invested OM glass, collecting the 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 and 100mm f2.8. Also a couple of Vivitar lenses that came with the OM2n purchased recently. More will undoubtedly follow. These also get to be played with on a Sony digital body. They are lovely lenses in my opinion.

Have a look at these images and let me know what you think

Aga - From my project at The Vinyl Factory

Aga – From my project at The Vinyl Factory

War Of The Roses - Warwick Castle

War Of The Roses – Warwick Castle Lomo 400

Pitstone Post Mill Bedfordshire

Pitstone Post Mill – Bedfordshire – Winter – Kodak Gold 200

Pistone Mill Post Mill - Bedfordshire - Summer

Pitstone Post Mill – Bedfordshire – Autumn – Ilford HP5

Fields near Pond Farm - Hitchin Just Before Harvest

Just Before Harvest – Fields near Pond Farm – Hitchin – Ilford HP5

If you would like to keep in touch with my work, visit any of the following.

www.julianhiggsphoto.com
www.instagram.com/julian.higgs
www.eyeem.com/julianhiggs

Support the upkeep of 35mmc

35mmc will always remain free for to read and enjoy. For those who enjoy it the most, there are two ways you can throw a few pennies into the proverbial tip jar: Patreon and Ko-Fi

Patreon allows those of you who would like to support 35mmc on a monthly basis with a small regular donations. Ko-Fi allows one off donations

Thanks in advance!

Michael Kay
    September 11, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Very nice stuff you’ve taken here.
    Give @p_p_p_repairs on Instagram a look at for repairs. England based. He does some awesome work at reasonable prices. I see him fix Oly’s quite a bit.

julianhiggs
      September 11, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Michael, I’ll look him up. Luton do give me great service and almost on my doorstep though. 🙂

David Hill
    September 11, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Lovely work, Julian. Keep your eyes open for any of the Zuiko f/2 lenses. These f/2 lenses, from 21mm to 100mm (including your 35/2) are the premium Olympus lenses, the pro line, verily the finest of glass.

julianhiggs
      September 11, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Thanks David, I must admit I’ve fallen for the OM system now. I would like to find more of the f2 glass but it does seem to be the top end of the price scale, but you get what you pay for. Just picked up a 50mm f1.4 that I adore already. A 24mm and 100mm f2 would be about all I would think I need now.

Arthur Robert Tafil
    September 11, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Everyone in the group. Here’s a little unknown tidbit of information that I remember from way back when I had and used the OM2SP. When in Aperture Priority, when the brightness level pushes the meter needle into the red zone over 1/1,000/sec. The camera can and will be able to deliver 1/2,000/sec. reliably. This feature was listed, I believe in the owners manual (but don’t quote me on this). I hope this helps anyone using this fine camera system. Another thing I loved about the Olympus cameras was the multi-spot metering of the OM-4, 4-T, 4-Ti and OM-3.

julianhiggs
      September 12, 2018 at 6:43 am

Hi Arthur, thanks for that, I wasn’t aware of the extra speed, albeit only in auto its good to know. I have an OM2n also and that has some very useful slow speeds in auto that make things so much easier to do sometimes. Cheers!

Ian Do Carmo
    September 12, 2018 at 3:21 am

Very good photos, and a pleasure to read. Thank you very much!

julianhiggs
      September 12, 2018 at 6:44 am

Thank you Ian, glad you enjoyed it. Need to come up with my next contribution soon.

walker
    September 12, 2018 at 10:53 am

Lovely pics and camera but I keep preferring the OM-1 gem 😉

julianhiggs
      September 12, 2018 at 1:10 pm

The OM 1 is on my list of nice to haves. I would love one for its simplicity and directness. I may just have to find a nice body as I have more lenses than bodies and several 50mm lenses to start off with. My Om2n comes close though but will not work without it’s battery except in a limited mode I believe, which I doubt i’ll ever try!

Bruce Parker
    September 28, 2018 at 12:07 am

B and 1/60 (marked in red) on the OM2n without batteries.

julianhiggs