5 Frames with an Olympus OM-2N – by Shameer Yaqin

March 15, 2018

I live in Singapore now, and the one thing that really bugs me here is the fact you never really get a clear view of the sky. Everything is built upwards, and it’s so dense that it almost feels claustrophobic sometimes. You pretty much have to point your head straight up to see a reasonably-sized bit of blue, and even then, you’re probably going to get three or four high-rise buildings peeking into your field of vision (and it probably won’t even be blue because it rains half the time here).

In December last year, I returned to Perth (where I used to live) for a holiday. I’m not sure why it didn’t happen earlier, but the difference really struck me then. It’s pretty much the polar opposite of here. The sky is everywhere; it’s expansive and omnipresent, no matter what you’re doing or where you are. It just makes everyday activities much more enjoyable. Even walking or driving to the shops (which is pretty much all I did anyway), I felt so much more free.

Here are a few photos of ordinary scenes from my trip taken with my Olympus OM-2N. I got it a month before my trip, and it’s been a real joy to have with me. It’s no compact camera but it’s small enough to be unobtrusive when not in use, and in use, it’s such a treat.

Instagram: @shameeryaqin

Support 35mmc

David Hill
    March 15, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Oh my Olys. if a camera can be loved, I loved these cameras.
    Then the electronics blew on my OM-4t (too many winters, too many snowstorms got to it, I daresay, but that’s a dead loss), and few years later the meter died on my OM-1n (no longer repairable, anywhere), and I picked up an OM-2n… then some years after that, the internal seals on the OM-2n degraded, and gummed up the shutter motors .. and that’s a dead loss too. Today I wish I still had the OM-1; I shoot meterless most of the time these days anyways.
    Take good care of that baby.

Shameer Yaqin
      March 15, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Oh no David, you’ve either had a rotten run of luck, or Olympus must really have something against you. I’ve got a few problems with mine (including a wonky meter as well), but I get by with some gentle coaxing and a bit of love.

You could always just get another OM-1 (or complete the OM set with a 3)…

Dave
      March 15, 2018 at 4:02 pm

There are folks that repair Olympus cameras. The old school guys anyways… I have an OM-1 out for a CLA as we speak! Maybe it depends on where in the world you are though.

Robert Wählt
    March 15, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Very nice images Shameer.
    I like the first one best. Intriguing.

Shameer Yaqin
      March 16, 2018 at 1:52 am

Thank you Robert!

Eddie Hawe
    March 16, 2018 at 1:15 am

I picked up an om4 to replace my om4ti (was constantly skipping frames). These cameras are just so damn good and those lenses, they defy physics. Love my tiny 24mm 2.8.

Shameer Yaqin
      March 16, 2018 at 1:53 am

Aren’t they just? The 24mm 2.8 is my favourite OM lens as well.

Dan Coman
    March 16, 2018 at 9:14 am

I just picked one of these up during a trip to Japan. It’s the first film camera that feels really right to me – I’ve tried quite a few in the last year or so and there’s something about Olympus that feels natural. I’ve never shot so many rolls in such a short space of time.

Nice photos Shameer, have followed you on Instagram.

Shameer Yaqin
      March 16, 2018 at 9:47 am

That’s great to hear, Dan!

Dexter
    March 16, 2018 at 3:24 pm

These are punchy, like them a lot! Also an Oly shooter, trusty OM-1N and OM-10 as a backup. What film were these shot on? Ektar?

Shameer Yaqin
      March 16, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Thank you very much! It’s just a great place, Perth. I’d honestly love to have a go at an OM-1N. The first is Portra 160, and the rest are Ektar.

Dexter
        March 17, 2018 at 4:50 am

Nice! Haven’t had much luck with Ektar, I put it down to the poor development by the lab. I’ll definitely have to revisit!

David Gibson
    September 22, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Wow Shameer, these photographs have so much more character than shots taken by one of those new mega expensive DSLR’s, you can just see the brilliant quality in your photos above from a 35mm film camera! I’ve seen a couple of used Olympus OM-2N’s on Amazon, so I’m tempted to treat myself. Thanks Shameer!

Shameer Yaqin
      September 24, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Thank you David! OM-2Ns are fantastic cameras! I still love mine the most out of all my cameras.