5 Frames with an Olympus Trip 35 – By Huy Le

It’s been 8 months since I made the decision to leave Australia and move to Osaka, Japan and it’s been an incredible experience. One of the biggest challenges I had when packing was choosing which cameras to bring over to use during my time here. After much contemplation I settled on these three: Fujifilm XT1 (digital, I know), Fujifilm GA645 and the Lomo’Instant Wide camera (which I barely ended up using).

With that said, it’s become quite common for people to pass down their old film camera collection to me when they find out I still shoot with film. The first time this happened was in America a few years ago when my uncle (a retired photographer/journalist) gave me all his cameras that he used from the 70’s during his time in Vietnam. So it wasn’t surprising upon meeting the parents of my friend who I was staying with that her father would give me his collection of old film cameras as well.

One of the cameras given to me is an Olympus Trip 35. Although I had been documenting most of my day to day life using film disposable cameras, I decided to take this out for a spin with my friend who came to visit from Australia. These were taken around Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori, the latter being one of the most popular spots in Osaka.

Feel free to check out my work here:

Instagram: @byehuyle / @backseatballads

Website/Blog: www.backseatballads.com

Support the upkeep of 35mmc

35mmc will always remain free for to read and enjoy. For those who enjoy it the most, there are two ways you can throw a few pennies into the proverbial tip jar: Patreon and Ko-Fi

Patreon allows those of you who would like to support 35mmc on a monthly basis with a small regular donations. Ko-Fi allows one off donations

Thanks in advance!

Dan Coman
    March 23, 2018 at 8:53 am

Nice shots, I especially like the second one. Have followed you on Instagram, so look forward to seeing more!

I bought a few rolls of Fuji Industrial 400 while I was in Osaka last month, and I’m just finishing the last one in my Olympus Trip. I’m excited to see how they come out. I’m still getting used to the Trip’s zone focusing so I’ve got my fingers crossed that everything is in focus. Looks like you’ve got that nailed.

Huy Le
      May 13, 2018 at 5:35 am

Hi Dan, apologies for the belated reply! Thank you for the kind words, I still feel like I’m getting use to the Trip’s zone focusing as well so like yourself I’m just hoping that I get everything in focus. It’s sad to hear the Fuji Industrial 400 film has been discontinued recently so I’ll need to stock up on it before I head back to Australia at the end of this year. All the best with your future photographic adventures 🙂

John O'Neil
    March 25, 2018 at 8:08 am

In the abyss of colour you capture fragmented wavelenghts amalgamated but the moment they resonate a blend occurs perhaps forming a window to a soul.

Robert
    May 7, 2018 at 11:59 pm

Wowsers! I’ve had a few Trips and I simply loved the smooth winding action, the delicate but pronounced aperture clicks and that lens is so sweet. Oh and the red flag the stops you doing something really stupid helps! The only problem I had was zone focusing. I like a shallow DOF and while that’s still possible with a Trip it’s not so easy.
    You’ve really made me consider buying another one.

Huy Le
      May 13, 2018 at 5:32 am

Thank you for the kind words Robert! I’m also a huge fan of shallow DOF and it’s something I’m still struggling with trying to nail on the Olympus Trip35. I mean obviously it’s much easier on a SLR but it’s possible to get good results… if you’re lucky! I haven’t touched my Trip in recent times as I’ve been using my old Ricoh p+s but I definitely do recommend it to others who like a little more control over the photos they take.

Flavio Colker
    November 28, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Prettiest camera ever made.