5 Frames with a Miranda Sensorex – by Nigel Haycock

I’ve only had my Miranda Sensorex a month or so and already it’s a favourite.  I mostly own and use Voigtländer as favourite brand for vintage cameras, but this came onto my radar and I couldn’t resist especially as it cost less than $30 (about £20) including the lens!

It’s a nice simple camera, solid but not too heavy.  Despite some of the controls not being where I am used to them I have found it easy to adapt to so it’s fairly intuitive in that respect.  The control layout tends to favour you working in a shutter preference method as the aperture is easy to adjust with your eye to the finder.  .

I see me using this camera as my go to SLR and I am very happy with the results so far; I haven’t tried it with colour yet.  I might see if I can pick up one or two other lenses too.

This example is the earlier version which came with the 50mm f1.9 lens.  The lens has a physical linkage to the camera so metering is accurate without having to stop down the aperture.  Also, the viewfinder slides off easily making it useable as a waist level shoot which if can be handy.

These images are from the first two rolls through this camera scanned by my local camera shop); the first being Tmax and the second (last two shots) being Fomapan 100.  I have decided I don’t like the Fomapan as the results with this and another camera have been disappointing.

You can see more of my images and posts via instagram @thecarrotroom and my blog https://carrotroom.wordpress.com/

Or, for $2 a month you can get access to my behind the scenes micro-blog over on Patreon!

Either way, want to help out, become a patron of 35mmc here:

Yuluminati
    May 1, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Nice work man…that lens has an interesting quality.

NigelH
      May 1, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Thanks. I have put a Kodak Gold film through it and waiting to see how it performs in colour 🙂

Jim Grey
    May 1, 2018 at 7:44 pm

I have a Sensorex II, unfortunately with a shutter that occasionally drags. But that 50/1.8 lens, oh, it is so sweet. Looks like the 50/1.9 is just as sweet.

NigelH
    May 1, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Hi Jim, thanks yes, I am very happy with this lens (wouldn’t say no to a 1.4 though). So far my Sensorex seems reliable but it does burn through the little batteries I am running it on.

Bent_Brent
    May 2, 2018 at 2:25 am

Nice!

I also struggle with Fomapan – it’s just too contrasty for my tastes.

Terry B
    July 11, 2018 at 9:45 am

Nigel, last week I received a Sensorex to add to my collection, and which I won on ebay for 27.5€. It came with its original case and owner’s manual. Cosmetically, both are in excellent condition, but the camera has two faults: a non-working delayed action device (nothing of concern to me, though) and a temperamental power switch for the meter. It will always come on, but often not until after several little jiggles of the lever. Otherwise, the camera is fine with a good shutter.

I suppose you have discovered that what looks like the battery compartment cover, front left top, is the lens aperture setting for the meter; this is the reference point for the camera to perform open aperture TTL metering.

Whilst I like the click-free aperture setting, easy for aligning the meter needle, it’s a pity that the set aperture is not displayed in the v/f.

If you don’t have a user manual you need to be aware of the following warnings:-
    1. Ensure that you fully wind on, best to make certain that the wind lever hits its rest stop position. If not, Miranda say, you may not be able to release the shutter and even if you can, it may not permit proper opening of the shutter curtain.
    2. Miranda warn against setting intermediate shutter speeds as this will result in incorrect shutter speeds.

A nice feature of the Sensorex is that the metering system is fully contained within the body, so even with a waist level finder, TTL metering is retained. Not even the much lauded Nikon F can do this.

NigelH
      July 11, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Hi terry
      Thanks for the information and I hope you have success with your camera; have you got pictures yet?. Yes, I am aware of the aperture setting control for the metering and have occasionally forgotten to adjust it when switching lenses.
      I actually have two of these now though the second one seems to be displaying issues and clipping occasionally which is annoying though I wonder now if it is something to do with your point about winder hitting the rest position properly.

Danny
    February 19, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Nice write up and images! I learned 35mm film photography in the 1960’s with my father’s Miranda Sensorex. Fine camera and lens and great memories.

NigelH
      February 19, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Thanks, I really like that camera, having it sent away for a CLA shortly which will probably cost more than the camera is worth but I’d like to use it more and so want it in it best shape. I have another that will probably go to help fund the CLA.
      Are you still shooting? Assume so as you are reading this site.

Danny
        February 23, 2019 at 1:24 pm

I am still shooting, mostly digital with a Fuji X-T1 and some manual primes. However, I am also teaching my son film photography and he is really enjoying his grandfather’s Pentax K1000. The Miranda finally stopped working in the 1980’s and my dad traded it in for the Pentax.