5 frames with... Guest Photos

5 frames with… 04: Voigtlander Vito B – by Richard Williams

A while ago, I picked up a little Voigtlander Vito B in an antique shop in Lichfield. I wasn’t really looking for another camera, but that’s so often the way when you find a gem.

And a real gem it is.

Small and solid, quality engineering.  Fully manual and zone focus – it really makes you slow down and think .  It has the 50mm/f3.5 SVS Prontor lens and although it’s over sixty years old, when you get it right, it makes the loveliest pictures.  And it has the added bonus that a 35mm film canister lid fits exactly as a lens cover!

I struggle a bit with the little viewfinder as I wear spectacles, but have fitted a Voigtlander Kontur viewfinder which is fantastic. These pictures are from a roll of Agfa Vista 200 that I shot in an afternoon around the little village where we live (mostly of the old church.)

Hope you enjoy them!

You can find me on twitter here
You can also find Hamish’s review of the Voigtlander Vito B here – a review I found after buying this camera.

Help keep this blog alive!

35mmc needs a little bit of support to help keep it going -If you enjoy reading the content here, please consider showing your support in one of the following ways:

Cameraventures: follow this link to buy something off Cameraventures and 35mmc will get a little kickback
Ebay: follow this link to buy something off ebay and 35mmc will get a little kickback
Advertise: read more here, about advertising on 35mmc
Paypal Donate: Read more here, or just click the donate button below. Nothing helps more than donations! Every single pound helps!

Callum
    September 12, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Where are you getting Agfa Vista now? Poundland told me they no longer stocked it last time I went in.

Richard Williams
      September 12, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hi Callum. Yeah the one in my town has sold out now as well and doesn’t appear to be getting any more in. I reckon they last had some a couple of months ago and I still have 6 or 7 rolls left (I don’t shoot as much as I’d like to). In a strange way (or at least forcing myself to look on the bright side) I’m looking forward to having to try out other films now though.

Stig Starr
    September 12, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Great photos from a lovely little camera !

Richard Williams
      September 12, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Thanks Stig. This whole roll was shot after the Voigtlander had been on eBay for a week and not sold. Must’ve been a wobble on my part because looking at the pics I got and the camera itself, I can’t believe I wanted to part with it! I let a couple of SLRs and point-and-shoot cameras go, but I reckon it’s a sign. This one’s a keeper!

Frank Lehnen
    September 15, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Hi Richard,

Guess you’re getting along fine with the Voigtländer Kontur?

I’m still struggling a bit with it. Those framelines tend to disappear from my vision…

Richard Williams
      September 17, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Hi Frank. Yeah I get on with it just fine. It does work best though if you just lift it your eye, compose quickly and shoot. If I spend a while faffing about looking through it, the lines can dip in and out of my vision. But generally, I think it’s fantastic. I wonder if yours might be an eye dominance issue? The dominant eye is usually the same side as the dominant hand, but in some people that’s not the case. My wife for instance is right-handed, but left-eyed. Maybe you knew already, but perhaps some food for thought?

jonathon Campo
    September 15, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Really nice presentation. I really like that finder also, really helps with squinty 1950’s viewfinders.
    You got some nice pictures out of that nice camera. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Williams
    September 17, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Thank you Jonathon for such an encouraging comment. With my glasses on, I can’t see the whole field of view through the tiny viewfinder. I didn’t realise until the first roll through it was developed and all of my subjects were offset to the left! It really is tiny, but is aesthetically better (in my opinion) than the larger viewfinder on later models.