5 frames with a Fuji Tiara ii – by Eddy

Fuji Tiara ii

The Fuji Tiara is a tiny, wide-angle point and shoot from the mid-nineties.  It was called the DL Super Mini in Europe but mine came in its original clothes from Japan.  Ben Murhaaya wrote a good review of it on here a couple of years ago.

When Hamish suggested this ‘5 frames with…’ feature the Tiara came immediately to mind because I’ve been using it a lot recently at home and when travelling.  It really is so brilliantly small and simple!

The main reason to use this camera apart from size and weight is its wide and very nice lens. It’s quite contrasty and very sharp.  The camera also seems to meter  accurately in most situations.  I don’t really use the exposure modes or manual focus options but have seen people online who appreciate them. This is not a tough camera, it has lots of plastic parts and my copy has some dings – I also had to repair the lens door a few months ago after some less than careful handling at a party.

Anyhow, here are five shots from the last year or so from walks around Oxford mixed with two from a  trip to Venice earlier in the summer.

Giudecca island, Venice - Cinestill 50 film

Giudecca island, Venice – Cinestill 50 film

Canal-side, Oxford - Fuji Industrial 100 film

Canal-side, Oxford – Fuji Industrial 100 film

Christchurch Meadow, Oxford - Portra 400 film

Christchurch Meadow, Oxford – Portra 400 film

Beside the River Thames - HP5 film

Beside the River Thames – HP5 film

Venice - Cinestill 50 film

Venice – Cinestill 50 film

Or, for $2 a month you can get access to my behind the scenes micro-blog over on Patreon!

Either way, want to help out, become a patron of 35mmc here:

Stig
    October 12, 2017 at 3:51 pm

What a great selection of photos, love the colour from the Cinestill too, certainly made me read the earlier review by Benn, and may just take a look over at eBay too !

Eddy Lambert
      October 13, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Thanks so much stig. They don’t come up often in Europe but quite a few available from Japan. Can’t believe how these compacts are going up in price thought!

Dan James
    October 12, 2017 at 4:12 pm

The Christchurch Meadow and River Thames shots are lovely Eddy, great work!

Eddy Lambert
      October 13, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Cheers Dan, pleased you like them

Joni
    October 12, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Tried to put out the G.A.S., but then saw these pictures, eehh. Wonderful works!

Eddy Lambert
      October 13, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Hee hee Joni. GAS – I know it too well!

Michael Rennie
    October 12, 2017 at 9:22 pm

5 cracking shots. I love seeing what can be done with a camera most people would throw in the bin. Great shots.

Eddy Lambert
      October 13, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Ah thank you Michael – there’s so much pleasure to be had with these old cameras

Dexter
    October 13, 2017 at 8:14 am

Great shots mate!

Eddy Lambert
    October 13, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Cheers Dexter – much appreciated

John
    November 5, 2017 at 10:43 am

I have the Fujifilm DL SUPER MINI ZOOM. It wasn’t cheap, but the lens is amazing too, probably not as sharp as the fixed lens on your camera. Great pictures you have here, I really like the “Beside the River Thames – HP5 film” picture. So many film cameras, so little time, no doubt.

Peter Boorman
    March 1, 2018 at 6:37 pm

I love the Christchurch Meadow and Thames pictures, and the last one in the back canal is lovely. Absolutely lovely handling of the light in all of these.

I hope having said that that I’ll seem helpful (as I intend) rather than churlish in pointing out that the island centre frame in the first picture is San Giorgio Maggiore, with Giudecca the one coming in at the edge of the frame.

Cheers,

Eddy
      March 2, 2018 at 8:53 am

Thanks so much Peter. For your kind words on the photos and for correcting me on Giudecca. Not churlish at all 🙂