5 Frames With A Holga 120FN – by Dev Samaddar

Some people curse at Holgas for being temperamental. Holga, of course, doesn’t give a rat’s behind who curses and who doesn’t. And that’s because Holga, as the name suggests, probably since it rhymes with Volga, is likely a princess, a tsarevna, a grand duchess. So you have to make obeisance and pray, may be even sing, to her royal Holganess and perchance she will lift her veil and grant you a look at her ethereal, other worldly beauty.

I am very fortunate. Princess Holga has shown her kindness and taken me to worlds dreamlike, magical hidden behind veiled portals that no plebeian Leica, Pentax, Rollei or Mamiya could ever conjure up.

Arizona has the public reputation to be a bright sunny desert speckled with saguaro and prickly pear. But it has another side. It storms and rains here. There are clouds. There are pine trees. There are mountains and lakes. This other side of Arizona isn’t always visible. You have to get away from the city of Phoenix and the valley of the sun. Naturally, you need a Holga to see this other Arizona.

Come walk with me to the other side:

A different Arizona (1). 400TX

A different Arizona (2). 400TX

A different Arizona (3). 400TX

A different Arizona (4). TMY

A different Arizona (5). TMY

All photos developed and scanned by http://www.oldschoolphotolab.com

Become a Patron of 35mmc

35mmc will always remain free for anyone to read. Patreon simply offers the opportunity for those who’d like to support me in the process of growing the site to chuck me a few quid a month to help out.

Think of it like a magazine subscription that you don’t have to pay, but if you do, the magazine will get bigger and better quicker!

Thanks in advance!

(there are also perks via Patreon for those who do support me)

George Appletree
    May 16, 2018 at 6:44 pm

I think the only royalty and magic of that camera is in your imagination

Dev Samaddar
      May 16, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I take that as a compliment. 🙂
      And indeed, it’s true for all cameras. To quote Ernst Haas: “The camera doesn’t make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.”

George Appletree
        May 16, 2018 at 8:05 pm

I don’t agree Haas (and don’t think even himself really did).

John Casteel
    May 17, 2018 at 12:58 am

These are nowhere near as good as the Holga shots I saw on your website. I am amazed that you chose these.

Dev Samaddar
      May 17, 2018 at 2:36 am

John, I appreciate your candid feedback. Art, like most things in life is personal preference. What one person thinks is fabulous might appear as worthless to another person and vice versa and so on. There isn’t an objective way to say one is better than the other. I am happy you liked some of the other photos. 🙂

Chris Pattison
        May 17, 2018 at 7:30 am

I am reminded of an exchange with a kid I encountered one day at a beach not far from here. I was aware of someone behind me while I was making images of old tractors used to haul fishing boats over the sand and into the sea. I turned around to see a half scowl, half puzzled look on his face as he asked with disdain in his voice, ‘Why are you taking pictures of old tractors?’ I simply replied, ‘Because I like them.’ The kid shrugged his shoulders. He was accepting of my answer. Good on him.

David Obryan
    May 20, 2018 at 3:03 am

Nice work.

Neil
    May 22, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I’ve not had a proper look at the MTF charts for the Holga 60mm but to me it does look somewhat soft in the corners 😀

Bryan Costin
    June 8, 2018 at 11:38 pm

I really like these shots. Some Holga work is a bit formulaic. These have that distinctive look while still being very compelling landscapes. They remind me a bit of vintage large format. Thanks!

Dev Samaddar
      June 9, 2018 at 12:29 am

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate that compliment. Also that’s a very good observation and I agree with it totally. I have seen what you mean and the camera is obvious from the photo. Well, if not Holga, it’s a Diana, but the point is the same. I have tried to avoid that cliche and I am happy to hear you say that I have succeeded a little bit.

Sleepwell