5 Frames With A Leica Tele-Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 – by Aukje

October 22, 2018

Although I mostly shoot a 50mm Summilux on my Leica M2, I do enjoy a different focal length every now and then. What I don’t like is adding lots of weight to my bag. The one lens that tends to surprise people with a proper (heavy!)Β DSLR-kitΒ the most is my Tele-Elmarit 90mm. It’s tiny and light, and you can keep it inside the pocket of your ripped jeans if you like.

The addition ‘Tele’ means that the lens is shorter than its focal length, in this case it sticks out about 62mm. That is about as tiny as you can get for a relatively long lens. For example Leica’s other 90mm lenses (the Elmarit or Summarit for example) are all larger and heavier.

Although it might be a suitable focal length for portraits I use it mostly for landscapes or nature. If I want to do some kind of close-up (I don’t do macro) I use it at f/2.8 where it has a nice small depth of field. For landscape photography I use it for cherry-picking areas of interest, or when there is too much water between me and the subject to get close πŸ™‚ .

Although very small, the tele-elmarit performs pretty well. It is sharp enough, and has a nice soft, unobtrusive bokeh. It is not perfect, for example the contrast is lower than I am used from my summilux and summicron, and it is slightly more prone to hazing (as you can see in the shot from the Lake District and of the cactus). That means that there are some circumstances where the result lacks a bit of punch, but most of the time it performs good enough for me. And I do shoot it against the sun, where hazing is a potential hazard…

I choose some shots from different locations and different time of the year, just to give you an idea of the versatility of the lens.Β I developed the film in Tetenal Colortec C-41 chemicals and scanned it on an Epson V800.

Veluwe (National Park in The Netherlands) / Kodak Ektar

At the end of my street / Kodak Colorplus

Garden on Bonaire (Netherlands Antilles) / Kodak Ektar

Lake District (United Kingdom) / Kodak Ektar

Karpathos (Greece) / Kodak Portra 400

Thanks for reading, and Hamish thanks for having me!

Support 35mmc

Graham Line
    October 22, 2018 at 4:12 pm

An alternative to the Tele-Elmarit 2.8 are the 90/4 Elmar-C and the 90/4 M-Rokkor, bith in M-mount, made for the Leica CL and the Minolta CLE. The Rokkor (marked ‘Made in Germany’) works perfectly on both the CLE and my M4-P assuming you take proper care in focusing. The lens is 72mm from flange to front and weighs 250g. Contrast is slightly higher than with the 2.8.

Aukje
      October 22, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Slightly larger and heavier, but not by much.

Terry B
        October 22, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Aukje, the Elmar C f4/90 is generally regarded as a better lens than the Tele-Elmarit. It was the last of the f4 designs and has been described as the pinnacle of Leitz’s evolution of this design. Resolution of both these 90mm lenses is very close, with I believe the C just edging it, but the Elmar-C has high contrast wide open compared to the Tele version’s medium. Distortion is non-existent with the C, but vignetting is marginally higher at 1.1 stops, versus .7 of the Tele version but the Tele also has some pincushion distortion.

Unfortunately, as you’ve discovered, the Tele is known to be prone to flaring (the term I believe you are looking for) haze is something else and is an atmospheric condition.

I love your first image. With Christmas not far off, you’ve got the makings of a personal Christmas card.

Aukje
          October 23, 2018 at 6:33 am

I’ve never seen the pincushion distortion, but then again, I never looked for it. I think it would be difficult to spot in a nature shot.
          Good suggestion for the Christmas card! πŸ™‚

Victor
      October 22, 2018 at 7:49 pm

I’ve had Elmar-C 90/4 and then snagged tele-elmarit as well (for 100 eur!) Kept the later. Both are equally sharp wide open, but TE is significantly sharper, and better bokeh at f4. Plus extra stop is very handy indoors. I also found TE to be it less prone to veiling flare, although the contrast drops a bit on both in complex situations.

Aukje
        October 23, 2018 at 6:34 am

I also use it quite often at 2.8, as it can be quite dark in the woods in the morning.

nick holt
    October 22, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Beautiful Photographs Aukje!

Aukje
      October 23, 2018 at 6:31 am

Thanks Nick!

Bent_Brent
    October 23, 2018 at 12:28 am

These are beautiful. Particularly love the first and last shots. Thanks for sharing.

Aukje
      October 23, 2018 at 6:31 am

Thanks for the the compliment!

Alex Hakimi
    October 23, 2018 at 5:20 am

i’m jealous of those that can use telephoto lenses well. maybe it’s just that the subject matter i shoot is better represented with a wider field of view. in any case, it looks like you’ve found a great lens and you’re making great images with it.

Aukje
      October 23, 2018 at 6:30 am

Thanks Alex.

stevenbleistein
    October 23, 2018 at 6:57 am

I bought a Tele-Elmarit some years back, but rarely use it, mostly because I did not really know what it is suited for. Your nature shots prompted me take it out shoot some of my own fall nature shots. Now I know! Beautiful! Thanks!

Aukje
      October 23, 2018 at 7:01 am

Thank you, it’s the best when you can inspire someone…

Ashley Carr
    October 23, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I too have come to love my Elmar 90mm F4 much more than I thought I would.

a cheap screw in hood is a must though for these early 90’s and it will transform your lens both in terms of contrast and flare prevention.

Aukje
      October 23, 2018 at 3:46 pm

I had the folding hood, but it got damaged and became unusable. Probably better indeed to get a replacement…

Jim Wolf
    October 25, 2018 at 6:37 pm

It uses the same non-folding hood as the 135 Elmar and Tele-Elmarit. I have the folding hood but don’t use it; the regular hood stays on the lens. I’ve had a 90 TE for years and it’s my favorite lens of that length. I only switch to the Summicron when I need the additional f stop. The lower contrast makes the TE a wonderful lens for black and white, and all of my film work is in black and white. Often maligned by people who have never tried it, the TE is indeed a wonderful lens and your work shows it at its best. Thanks.

Aukje
      October 25, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Thanks Jim. And I will check that hood…