5 Frames with a Kodak Vest Pocket – By Dan Smith

Although not a 35mm camera I thought I would share these five shots taken with what is possibly one of the first true compact cameras, the Kodak Vest Pocket. Mine is probably about a hundred years old and a bit tatty but I was surprised at the quality of the images I got out of it, they are far from perfect but I think they have great character.

I was particularly happy with the framing as the tiny waist level finder really only hints of what you can expect with it being so small. I did manage a very wonky horizon in one of the pictures but that could well just be me! I also shot the whole roll vertically forgetting the image was not a square!

Saying that it’s not all rosy, I obviously have a bit of a light leak in the bellows, I did notice this before using it but I guess my repair didn’t work completely. It’s also becoming increasingly expensive to get hold of 127 film, I am down to my last 4 or 5 rolls so will use them sparingly, which is a bit tricky as I have at least a couple of 127 cameras I haven’t used yet!

All images are from a single roll of ReraPan 100 which I developed myself in D76, I intentionally left the borders showing as I think they show more of that Kodak VP character.

Thanks for reading, if you would like to see more of my pictures you can find me on Flickr:

Want to help out, become a patron of 35mmc here:

Advertisements

Terry B
    April 25, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Dan, I’m really surprised (and impressed) by just how good and sharp these images are, and from what is a fixed focus camera with limited shutter speeds. It looks like the little shutter lever is set on 1/50th sec. considering the the instantaneous speed of 1/25 is to the left of B and T.

This was one of the first cameras I started my collection with and it came with a mid-brown canvas slip in case with a fold-over flap with a press stud. I ruined it as a truly collector’s item by deciding the body needed a new paint job using a spray can of auto gloss black paint giving it several coats, then a gloss finisher. This was before I knew to leave well alone! Originality is the key. At least it looks good.

But I never took any pics with it, so to see what it is capable of is an eye opener indeed. So thanks for posting.

DanSmith74
      April 25, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Terry, I was surprised too! It’s a great little camera. Nothing wrong with painting a camera to your taste, I think some people can be a bit precious about that subject. I personally like a nice bit of ‘patina’ but whatever suits you as far as I am concerned, I’ve seen some great custom paint jobs. You are right by the way, it is set to 1/50th, it was a nice sunny day so I shot the whole roll like that.

Chris McPhee
    April 25, 2018 at 4:11 pm

It focuses a lot better than my Kodak Vigilant Junior 620! Thanks for these.

DanSmith74
      April 25, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Thanks very much Chris, I’m often surprised by the simplest of cameras.

NigelH
    April 25, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Excellent shots, I had a Kodak Six20 Junior (which I sold last year) and that didn’t give anywhere near as good results. I have a Jiffy Six16 but no film to even try that!

Peggy
    April 25, 2018 at 10:21 pm

I have been thinking of trying one of these. The shots are sharp and have a vintage feel. I have tried a similar camera, but I could not get it framed where I wanted it, so well done on the framing.

DanSmith74
      April 26, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Thank you, I must admit the finder is not great.

Kodachromeguy
    April 26, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Wow, well done. Impressive for such a simple lens. B&H in New York lists Ilford HP5 film is 127-size, so apparently there is still some demand for use in historic cameras.

Question: in photo 4, do I see a tram or funicular going up the bluffs? Please, where is it?

DanSmith74
      April 26, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I was pretty pleased, thank you. I a surprised that there is 127 HP5 about, it must be re-rolled I guess. Yes that is one of two(!) funiculars in my home town, this one is the East Hill Lift, I live in Hastings on the south coast of the UK.

Chris
      April 30, 2018 at 7:13 am

Besides that, if you want to use 120 film, there are versions of that camera which use this type of film.

George Appletree
    April 26, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Hi
    I had a Kodak six-20 Art Deco for a while and took interesting shots. It was a really pretty machine, more refined that what that one looks like. Viewfinder, lens and a full range of aperture and three or four speeds. Probably sharper and surely equally cheap. A joy really.
    I don’t remember how I handled to use 120 rolls in it. Cameras designed for 620 require nearly always some tricky adjustments for loading and making work 120.
    I said nearly always because I later bought one 6×9 old camera, that I still use, swallowing them straight on. First case ever.

DanSmith74
      April 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm

That Six20 Art Deco looks lovely and sounds great, yeah I’m used to modding 120 film to fit, I normally get away with just trimming the spool edges with sturdy scissors but it is a pain.

George Appletree
        April 27, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Yes, I remember, I had to unroll the 120 film from the plastic shaft and roll it in a 620 metallic one inside a tight light bag. Disgusting but I made it work.
        The only camera I ever handled allowing 120 rolls straight on is a Lumiére from about 1950’s. Incredible, and pretty sharp by the way.
        Although interesting the bellows camera was in practice too farragous to handle.

Evan Bedford
    April 27, 2018 at 1:57 am

Wonderful! Keep up the good work!

DanSmith74
      April 27, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Thank you.

John A Bennett
    April 27, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Blue Moon Camera & Machine, our local shop here in Portland, Oregon, sells 127:

JAB

Peter Boorman
    May 1, 2018 at 9:36 pm

I love these photographs. They suit the camera perfectly and you’ve composed them beautifully – no mean feat with that viewfinder!

David Collyer
    August 16, 2018 at 7:27 pm

This is fantastic. I have one of these sitting on the shelf above my desk. I’ve never put a roll through it, but now I’m inspired

DanSmith74
      August 16, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Great to hear that David, I would definitely recommend giving it a go, I was definitely surprised!