The Whole Roll

24 Frames / The Whole Roll of Ilford HP5+ in an Olympus Trip 35 – #FullRollFriday – By Hilary Clarke

June 26, 2020

When Hamish suggested a feature where people would post a full film, I thought I would take a photo a day on my daily walk through Healey Dell Nature Reserve. These shots were taken whilst in lockdown for the CoronaVirus and we were at that time allowed out for just one period of exercise per day. Driving was discouraged and so I realised how lucky I was to be living close to this beautiful woodland area. I started the project on April 1 2020, and I took the last photograph on 24th April.

I walk my dog, Rowdy, on most days here anyway, so it felt like a shot of normality in an increasingly strange world. The main path used to be the Rochdale to Bacup railway line which was one of the last to be built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in 1867. The line was closed to passengers in 1949 and by 1952 a service of 2 coal trains per day travelled from Rochdale to the Facit yard. By 1967 the line was closed. Today it is home to parts of the National Cycle Network, the Rochdale Way and the Pennine Bridleway.

There are still the remains of a station at Broadley and some beautiful Victorian engineering in the shape of a 103 foot high, 8 arch viaduct. The viaduct spans the River Spodden which runs through a narrow gorge (called ‘The Thrutch’) forming a waterfall and pool. The rock formation here looks like a pulpit, reading desk and seats (allegedly) and is known as the Fairy Chapel, with local folklore telling of fairy and witch sightings.

Currently it’s spring and the Dell is home to swathes of wildflowers. The trees throw beautiful shadows which are hypnotising at times. I used my Olympus Trip 35 and Ilford HP5+ at box speed. Generally at this time of year, the skies can be rather grey and leaden, so I thought I would concentrate on bold shapes rather than go for a colour film. Of course, we had the sunniest April in a long time, so the skies were gorgeous.

There’s one day in the series where I didn’t walk. a migraine confined me to the sofa, so instead I pointed the camera at my walking companion enjoying his day off. And on the last day, I took a photo of my back yard where I’ve been spending so much time lately.

The shot of the three wooden sculptures is the last photograph I’ll be taking of them like this, as sadly a few days after I’d taken it, they were vandalised. The top hatted man has now been restored, sadly the two totems were beyond repair.

I’ve enjoyed this project, and I may do it again with a different camera and film, there’s a lot of the area still to shoot!

Thanks to Hamish for suggesting this, and to Duncan at Silverpan Labs for the processing and scanning.

Support 35mmc

Murray Kriner
    June 26, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Enjoyed your photos, and the odd daily stroll with you and your pet. It truly is lovely, even for being an early Spring, but must have made your shooting these photos a far more successful enterprise. Hope you continue writing and sharing your experiences about your breathtakingly beautiful community. Very best of health my friend.

Hilary Clarke
      June 26, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Thank you Murray!I really enjoyed doing this and the walks (which are always lovely even in the rain!) became a daily highlight!

Joe Brough
    June 26, 2020 at 6:16 pm

More photos & articles please Hilary. This place is a grossly unequal sausage fest full of Leica lickers. Booooo! 👎🏼
    I loved your results with my fave b&w film of all time. Keep up the great work! 👌🏻

Hilary Clarke
      June 26, 2020 at 6:20 pm

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

Kodachromeguy
      June 26, 2020 at 11:25 pm

Oh, oh, I’m an American and don’t know things. What’s a sausage fest? Do you mean hard-ons about Leicas??

Hilary Clarke
        June 27, 2020 at 8:38 am

I’ll leave that for joe to answer!

Joe Brough
        June 27, 2020 at 11:28 am

I’ll leave you to Urban Dictionary, facetious one…
        This place is pretty much one big circle jerk for the Leica bros. Gather round boys! Who’s in the middle today then chaps?! 😛

Hamish Gill
          June 27, 2020 at 11:39 am

To be honest, I can’t think of a better way to encourage Hilary return than to make male masturbation orgy analogies in her comments thread. Good work, Joe – thanks for the input.

• Watto
            June 28, 2020 at 12:20 am

So enjoyed the article and the contemplative images.

Was that actual water flowing in a creek? Haven’t seen that for a while up here in my part of Australia.

Also, in Oz we have this tiny sausage, usually at a children’s party and easily held in two fingers, called a ‘little dick‘.

• Hilary Clarke
            June 28, 2020 at 8:24 am

Yes, real water in the stream. We have quite a lot of rain in Northern England!

Tobias Eriksson
    June 26, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Thanks for sharing these lovely scenes from your walk. You have inspired me to share some of my experience in a forthcoming post.

Hilary Clarke
      June 26, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Thank you, I’ll look forward to reading your article!

Michael Jardine
    June 27, 2020 at 12:18 am

Thank you so much for sharing these- they feel very personal and meditative. Lockdown’s been a tough gig and taking photos on ‘regime-sanctioned daily exercise’ with my 5yo son has been a salvation. This has been a narrative of many good posts on 35mmc but I can hear your footfall on the undergrowth on these, and the sound of your hound, they are immersive and wonderful.

Hilary Clarke
      June 27, 2020 at 8:39 am

Thanks. It’s been my salvation as well. I’m sure your son has loved your walks too.

Stephen McCullough
    June 27, 2020 at 3:45 am

Hi
    First, Rowdy is a wonderful name for your friend.

You have inspired me to take my Trip for some walks. Thank you for sharing!

Hilary Clarke
      June 27, 2020 at 8:40 am

He’s the exact opposite of his name! Not rowdy at all! I love my trip, hope you great some lovely photos!

Rachel Brewster-Wright
    June 27, 2020 at 9:30 am

Absolutely love these shots Hilary and I’m so very proud of you for putting your writing, your photography and your experiences out there and sharing them with us.

Can’t wait to see more!

Hilary Clarke
      June 27, 2020 at 9:52 am

Thank you Rachel! And thanks for your support and advice. If it wasn’t for you and sunny 16 I wouldn’t be doing any of this!

Des McSweeney
    June 27, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Hilary, I really enjoyed this sequence and its very high hit rate of successful photographs, well done indeed. It is a fine story of your local walks and reminds me to get out more even if still treading similar routes as we ease out of lockdown (I have someone shielding at home so am probably being more conservative than most) and… to get some film in my trip 35. I bought it a few years ago from https://www.tripman.co.uk who you might know – he is a source for beautifully renovated and relatively inexpensive cameras for their condition. I see now that they have gone up in price since I bought mine but not as much as an M6 has!! DO post gain when you can.

Hilary Clarke
      June 27, 2020 at 1:04 pm

Hi. Thank you, yes I know tripman. Hope you manage to get out and about a bit more in the near future!

Ken
    June 27, 2020 at 3:54 pm

A lovely series of images, especially the radial tree shadow with paths leading in different directions. Have you considered a zine? The theme is in the camera’s name and your familiarity with the surroundings really shows.

Hilary Clarke
      June 27, 2020 at 4:57 pm

Thank you ken. I might well do a zine with them. I did one last year with some photos of my father’s but this might number 2 in my portfolio 😀

brian nicholls
    June 27, 2020 at 8:48 pm

A fine body of work Hilary and a themed one at that – unbeatable! My wife bought me a ‘Trip’ for my birthday in 1977 and it has been thoroughly well used ever since but, still going strong to this day. I’m convinced that the 40mm focal length lens has had a lot to do with its continued popularity. Well done!

Hilary Clarke
      June 28, 2020 at 8:24 am

Hi Brian, happy you liked the article. I love the trip, it’s simplicity means I can concentrate on the scene in front of me rather than the process.