In the last post in this series I talked bout how viable it is to use an unmodified Jupiter-8 on a Leica rangefinder – following on from that, I thought I might like to find out a little more about the process of modifying a Jupiter-8 for technically accurate focusing on a Leica rangefinder. Whilst the outcome of this process is not exactly the success I might have liked, I have seen some success, and to a certain degree it seems that the success I’ve had also seems seems to have come with a little less trouble than others might have found. As such I figured it would still be worth documenting my process and findings…
…I thought I’d write this about how well a few unmodified later model, easy to find, imperfect focusing Jupiter-8 lenses work when used on a Leica rangefinder. Really, this is just to give a bit of perspective, and hopefully encourage people not to worry quite so much about the outcome of buying one of these wonderful lenses.
After I posted the last instalment of this little journey to find my perfect classic Sonnar, I went straight out and shot a few photos with my Contax mount Jupiter-8M. My hopes for it being good were far exceeded, it turned out to produce quite fantastic results. So good in fact, that I’ve decided to concentrate my efforts on the Jupiter-8 family of lenses for a little while.