5 frames with an Olympus Infinity Stylus Zoom 140 DLX – by Kyle McMurphy

Like in most family households in the U.S., finding an old film camera socked away in a drawer or closet is pretty easy. I think this one belonged to my mother-in-law. My wife had one similar to this but we gave it away to charity at some point. That was before I decided that shooting film is important to me. I do shoot digital but there is that special something that film has.

So, I got this camera for free and that’s why I’ve been using it alongside some older film SLRs. I also found an empty box and manual for an Olympus XA2, but alas, the camera is nowhere to be found. I would love to try that one.

I had not tried Kodak TMax 400 before so I decided to shoot a roll with the Olympus. I bought some Kodak Portra 400 too but I already had some loaded in one of my SLRs so I went with the TMax

I think most of these shots were taken in May and June 2018. In Texas where we live, that is pretty much already Summer.

Staying cool in the Texas Summer is a top priority. Kids love to eat popsicles and a frozen treat hits the spot on a hot day.

My twin sons eating popsicles.

A garden hose and water help my daughter stay cool – watering the neighbor’s flowers.

Shorts and scraped knees go together like peanut butter and jelly.

In the evening when it gets a little cooler, the kids like to play in the alley. When their mom gets home they all rush to greet her.

Summer and swimming- The best way to cool off in the summer is a little relaxation in the pool. Four year old boys sometimes forget what they are supposed to be doing.

Support the upkeep of 35mmc

35mmc will always remain free for to read and enjoy. For those who enjoy it the most, there are two ways you can throw a few pennies into the proverbial tip jar: Patreon and Ko-Fi

Patreon allows those of you who would like to support 35mmc on a monthly basis with a small regular donations. Ko-Fi allows one off donations

Thanks in advance!

Gabi
    August 9, 2018 at 2:43 am

Amazing super sharp photos! Loved it!

morphodone
      August 9, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Thanks! TMax 400 is nice sharp film.

• Dan Castelli
    Dan Castelli
    August 9, 2018 at 4:55 pm

I really like the photo of your children greeting Mom. It has a tonality range and just enough blur to make it stand out. Nicely done.

morphodone
      August 9, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Thanks! Although I cannot take too much credit as the point and shoot does most of the work.

• Dan Castelli
        Dan Castelli
        August 10, 2018 at 3:50 am

But the P/S didn’t notice the scene, and it didn’t make the decision to make the photo. You did. You saw the potential in one of your family’s daily habits as photo that was worth taking. Leica or Holga or Olympus; none of these cameras go out on their own to take pictures. You’ve got a good eye for noticing seemingly common events and elevating them.

morphodone
          August 10, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Nigel Cliff
    August 25, 2018 at 6:29 pm

I have a growing collection of AF Compacts but I tend to steer clear of the longer range zooms as the lenses protruding out such a long way do tend to look a bit dtrange

Laurie
    September 30, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Very nice pics, and I agree with the person above that the one where your kids are greeting Mom stands out, the blur adds a lot. I just picked this same camera up yesterday for $1 so doing a little online reading and happy to see your post. I did actually see this when it posted but wasn’t even thinking about the camera at that time. Ironically, I did also pick up the XA2 at the same time, they were together. 😃. Thanks for testing this one out!

morphodone
      October 1, 2018 at 1:41 pm

I am on the lookout for an XA2 myself. Enjoy both cameras and thanks for the compliment!