King's Cross Extension - Roof Detail
The Whole Roll

22 Frames / A whole roll of JCH400 shot on the Horizon 202 – #FullRollFriday – By Captain Badbeard

April 10, 2020

Hamish put a shout out on Twitter last week asking if anyone fancied sharing an entire roll of photos here on 35mmc. Having already done this a few times over the last few months on Twitter I jumped at the chance. Just like last week’s contributor, Jeremy Strange, I am a big fan of Eduardo Pavez Goye on YouTube and his Shoot Film episodes and took my inspiration for showing all the photos on a roll from him.

I got my Horizon 202 last summer (not long after Simon Forster started showing his shots on Farcebook) and it very quickly became my favourite 35mm point and shoot. I shoot a fair amount of panoramics in medium format but the Horizon is a lot less cumbersome and in many ways a lot more fun; even the worst shots have a certain charm to them. If you’re careful you can maximise your shots at 23 but sometimes your first shot is a just random one of the roof. Sometimes the film advance is a bit shonky and you end up with overlapped exposures, as you’ll see below.

So, here is a set of shots I took last December on JCH Streetpan 400 when we decided to walk from Baker Street to King’s Cross stations in London rather than change tube trains. These were processed in Kodak Xtol by A&M Imaging in Edinburgh, I scanned them on my Epson V850 and post-processed in Negative Lab Pro and Lightroom.

This is the first roll of JCH I’ve shot and I really like the contrast and the blacks, it handled my laissez-faire attitude to metering with the 202 admirably. I’ll hopefully get a chance to try it with an R72 filter for some infra-red action over the summer.

Loading Horizon Roof Shot

Euston Tap Frontage

Ducks In A Row

British Library

Paolozzi at the British Library

King's Cross from St Pancras

Big Bud London - King's Cross

St Pancras (Douglas Adam's Valhalla)

King's Cross Extension - Roof Detail

King's Cross Extension

That’s your lot! Thanks for making it this far. If you’d like to see some more of my stuff you can find me quietly trying to #makeflickrgreatagain here.

Support & Subscribe

35mmc is free to read. It is funded by adverts. If you don't like the adverts you can subscibe here and they will disapear.

Terry B
    April 10, 2020 at 4:17 pm

A fascinating series of images. Other than the obvious perspective distortion you’ve introduced when the camera is not held perfectly horizontally and vertically, you have also demonstrated how the camera can actually deceive, as in the third image.
    I’ve never seen such a range of images captured by one of these Russian cameras and I’m surprised at the IQ available. Thanks for sharing.

John F.
    April 10, 2020 at 4:53 pm

I reckon the Horizont/Horizon family really produce exciting things when you DON’T follow the ‘must keep it horizontal’ rule. If you’re in that area again with the camera, have a look at the large bronze statue of the embracing couple by the Booking Hall at St.Pancras and also the iron work – all rich pickings for this format !

badbeard
      April 10, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Trapped in Scotland for the foreseeable John!

Neal A Wellons
    April 10, 2020 at 8:52 pm

Now that the leaves are showing on the trees and the bright sunlight is calling, I hope you get a 720nm filter and see what JCH Streetpan 400 can do with it. I was happily surprised.

Here is a link to one of my Flickr albums; most photos were taken with Streetpan and a 720nm filter.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157710685525558

badbeard
      April 10, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Wow Neal, those look great. I have a few IR sensitive films to try out this year.

Robert Jamieson
    April 10, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Fantastic images! I have the OG Horizon, the Horizont and I’m just getting used to it but loving shooting something different. Inspiring choice to roll some JCH Streetpan through yours! Cheers. -Robbie

badbeard
      April 10, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Thanks Robbie!

Rachel Brewster-Wright
      April 11, 2020 at 8:00 am

Excellent set of images and lovely to see this combination of film and camera used. It’s really brought out something exciting in both. πŸ“ΈπŸŽžοΈπŸ‘

eric
    April 11, 2020 at 12:50 am

great BW on the last days articles from western countries. Love these BW.

jeremystrange
    April 11, 2020 at 1:03 am

This is great Ben, I have a Horizon Perfekt myself, and you’ve inspired me to get it out again. Thanks for sharing.

Nick Colburn
    April 11, 2020 at 4:15 am

What an awesome thing to do! Sharing an entire roll. Thanks for doing this! I’m totally gonna do this too! Though I doubt I’ll have as many good ones as you do… lol. What a cool camera and a beautiful film.

Richard Patterson
    April 11, 2020 at 8:01 am

Great shots Ben.
    About 40 years ago I used to work in the building in shot 10. The views from the top floor were fantastic – I’d forgotten all that until I saw your post!
    Your shots of the Forth bridge on Flickr are also great. Inspirational stuff!
    Best wishes
    Richard

badbeard
      April 11, 2020 at 9:18 am

Thanks Richard, that’s nice of you to say.