5 frames with my dear Nikon F and Nikkor 28mm f3.5 – by Jano Urda

Hallo, my name is Jano Urda and I am freelance photographer, camera trader and repairer. I can say, I do care to keep film alive, for me, for us. This time, my friend on the road was legendary Nikon F with my all time favourite Nikkor lens – the Nikkor H 28mm f3.5 , which to me, seems perfect. There is just nothing else I need in terms of picture quality, build and handling.

And yes, 28mm is my go to focal length, I shoot almost all of my work with a 28mm lens. I travel every day by train, to the university and of course I carry my cameras with me, because you never know what is going to happen. And this time, it was just right. I met a group of gipsy kids. A common here, asking for cash, food even cigarettes. I thought “hmm thats good light over there”, so I firmly grabbed my black F and set it to 1/125th and 5.6. As almost always, loaded with Kodak Trix 400 – my favourite film. And the story told itself.

I just meet them on the train. When I later did prints of these in my darkroom, I felt exactly the same as I was there in that moment. Mission accomplished.

Some links :
https://www.instagram.com/jano_urda/ – My personal work
https://www.instagram.com/35120cameras/ – Things I am doing for film community.

Important Information

Analogue Spotlight at The Photography Show: The Photography Show 2020 is set to have a much bigger Analogue Photography presence with a new “Analogue Spotlight” feature and a significantly increased contingent of analogue photography businesses and individuals having stands or a presence at the show.
Find out more about the show including a code for dicounted tickets here,

Support the upkeep of 35mmc:For as little as $1 a month, you can help support the upkeep of this website. The more people chuck me a small amount of cash each month, the more time I can spend building and improving upon it - simple as that!
Or, for $2 a month you can get access to my behind the scenes micro-blog over on Patreon!

Either way, want to help out, become a patron of 35mmc here:

Nick
    November 18, 2018 at 10:51 am

Great shots!

28mm is a fantastic fl when used with care to tell a story, and your use here is sublime.

More please!

• Daniel Castelli
    Daniel Castelli
    November 18, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Just a few thoughts:
    1. Your work shows the value of ALWAYS carrying a camera while you’re out & about;
    2. Once again, a post showing how useful and serviceable film cameras are in this post 20th century time;
    3. A nice, classic looking vignette/slice of life encounter on your way to your destination. This must have made your day!
    4. Yeah! Darkroom!

janourda
      November 20, 2018 at 9:20 am

🙂 thanks! I a working on few more 5 frames and reviews…they will appear soon!

Des
    November 19, 2018 at 2:29 am

“go to focal length”, really, “go to”. Why are you writing in cliches and hackneyed phrases?

Hamish Gill
      November 19, 2018 at 7:36 am

Eh? Go to (go-to) just denotes most commonly used or relied upon. That’s not cliche, it’s just a turn of phrase. What an odd criticism to make!

Jano
      November 19, 2018 at 10:17 am

I can not see any cliché here. Just enjoy 5 frames with..

Zach Bielinski
    November 19, 2018 at 9:25 am

I don’t know why the other guy felt the need to comment about your choice of words.

I too am a big fan of the 28mm. It comes in after 50mm as my favorite and most used focal length. Wide, but still controllable. I own the lens here, but the one I use is the f/2 version, good for when the light really starts to go or when I’m inside. You shot the focal length where I think it really shines: between 0.5-2m. The first image is my favorite, but I really enjoyed how you gave it short and to the point and showed a sequence. Tri-X is also one of my favorite films.
    Keep up the good work!
    I find the f/3.5 to be very sharp in the middle, but the corners never seem to really catch up, even stopped down.

Dan
      March 26, 2019 at 5:24 pm

The way it renders is lovely though, those pre-AI Nikkors just have that x-factor. My Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 has no right to make as lovely pictures as it does, it is inferior in every technical way to later versions (except build quality) Yet I reach for it every time I need a fifty.

Wayne
    November 19, 2018 at 10:27 am

I have to say that this may be my favorite set (as a complete set) of photos I have seen in this “Five Frames” series on 35mmc. Very entertaining. I appreciate your selection of the 28/3.5 lens as a favorite. While Nikon is not among the brands I shoot, as I mature in my photography experience, I find I am less and less obsessed with lens speed. Thanks for taking time to compose and post.

Blinx
      November 20, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I agree Wayne, a fine set of photos by any standard. I own the last short lived AIS version of this lens, and these shots are typical of the slightly old school rendering.

Nathanael
    November 19, 2018 at 12:07 pm

nice photos, nice moment !!

• Daniel Castelli
    Daniel Castelli
    November 19, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Dear Des,
    I’m not sure what nationality Mr. Urda is, but I know, if I tried to translate my American English into a non-English language, it’d be full of fractured phrases. As I think about it, our [USA] beloved ‘fanny pack’ nomenclature has an entirely different meaning in the UK.
    Why not just enjoy the photos from Mr. Urda [which I happed to like] and his story. My first camera was a used Nikon F, and it finally left my service in 1973 when it was stolen. I replaced it with a used F2. These cameras were almost indestructible. It never failed to produce, and I could count on it.

Ernie
    November 20, 2018 at 10:29 pm

What a great tale and a great set of photos. Keep it up, 28mm fl looks great on these.

Charles Morgan
    November 20, 2018 at 10:36 pm

Really gorgeous photos, thank you!

Camera Review Blog No. 28 – Nikon F – Alex Luyckx | Blog
    May 17, 2019 at 3:19 pm

[…] Further Reading Don’t just take my word on the Nikon F, check out these other reviews of this classic camera. – Mike Eckman Dot Com – Nikon F Review – 35mmc – Five Frames with my dear Nikon F […]