5 frames with my dear Nikon F and Nikkor 28mm f3.5 – by Jano Urda

November 18, 2018

Hallo, my name is Jano Urda and I am freelance photographer, camera trader and repairer. I can say, I do care to keep film alive, for me, for us. This time, my friend on the road was legendary Nikon F with my all time favourite Nikkor lens – the Nikkor H 28mm f3.5 , which to me, seems perfect. There is just nothing else I need in terms of picture quality, build and handling.

And yes, 28mm is my go to focal length, I shoot almost all of my work with a 28mm lens. I travel every day by train, to the university and of course I carry my cameras with me, because you never know what is going to happen. And this time, it was just right. I met a group of gipsy kids. A common here, asking for cash, food even cigarettes. I thought “hmm thats good light over there”, so I firmly grabbed my black F and set it to 1/125th and 5.6. As almost always, loaded with Kodak Trix 400 – my favourite film. And the story told itself.

I just meet them on the train. When I later did prints of these in my darkroom, I felt exactly the same as I was there in that moment. Mission accomplished.

Some links :
https://www.instagram.com/jano_urda/ – My personal work
https://www.instagram.com/35120cameras/ – Things I am doing for film community.

Support & Subscribe

35mmc is free to read. It is funded by adverts. If you don't like the adverts you can subscibe here and they will disapear.

Nick
    November 18, 2018 at 10:51 am

Great shots!

28mm is a fantastic fl when used with care to tell a story, and your use here is sublime.

More please!

Daniel Castelli
    November 18, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Just a few thoughts:
    1. Your work shows the value of ALWAYS carrying a camera while you’re out & about;
    2. Once again, a post showing how useful and serviceable film cameras are in this post 20th century time;
    3. A nice, classic looking vignette/slice of life encounter on your way to your destination. This must have made your day!
    4. Yeah! Darkroom!

janourda
      November 20, 2018 at 9:20 am

🙂 thanks! I a working on few more 5 frames and reviews…they will appear soon!

Des
    November 19, 2018 at 2:29 am

“go to focal length”, really, “go to”. Why are you writing in cliches and hackneyed phrases?

Hamish Gill
      November 19, 2018 at 7:36 am

Eh? Go to (go-to) just denotes most commonly used or relied upon. That’s not cliche, it’s just a turn of phrase. What an odd criticism to make!

Jano
      November 19, 2018 at 10:17 am

I can not see any cliché here. Just enjoy 5 frames with..

Zach Bielinski
    November 19, 2018 at 9:25 am

I don’t know why the other guy felt the need to comment about your choice of words.

I too am a big fan of the 28mm. It comes in after 50mm as my favorite and most used focal length. Wide, but still controllable. I own the lens here, but the one I use is the f/2 version, good for when the light really starts to go or when I’m inside. You shot the focal length where I think it really shines: between 0.5-2m. The first image is my favorite, but I really enjoyed how you gave it short and to the point and showed a sequence. Tri-X is also one of my favorite films.
    Keep up the good work!
    I find the f/3.5 to be very sharp in the middle, but the corners never seem to really catch up, even stopped down.

Dan
      March 26, 2019 at 5:24 pm

The way it renders is lovely though, those pre-AI Nikkors just have that x-factor. My Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 has no right to make as lovely pictures as it does, it is inferior in every technical way to later versions (except build quality) Yet I reach for it every time I need a fifty.

Wayne
    November 19, 2018 at 10:27 am

I have to say that this may be my favorite set (as a complete set) of photos I have seen in this “Five Frames” series on 35mmc. Very entertaining. I appreciate your selection of the 28/3.5 lens as a favorite. While Nikon is not among the brands I shoot, as I mature in my photography experience, I find I am less and less obsessed with lens speed. Thanks for taking time to compose and post.

Blinx
      November 20, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I agree Wayne, a fine set of photos by any standard. I own the last short lived AIS version of this lens, and these shots are typical of the slightly old school rendering.

Nathanael
    November 19, 2018 at 12:07 pm

nice photos, nice moment !!

Daniel Castelli
    November 19, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Dear Des,
    I’m not sure what nationality Mr. Urda is, but I know, if I tried to translate my American English into a non-English language, it’d be full of fractured phrases. As I think about it, our [USA] beloved ‘fanny pack’ nomenclature has an entirely different meaning in the UK.
    Why not just enjoy the photos from Mr. Urda [which I happed to like] and his story. My first camera was a used Nikon F, and it finally left my service in 1973 when it was stolen. I replaced it with a used F2. These cameras were almost indestructible. It never failed to produce, and I could count on it.

Ernie
    November 20, 2018 at 10:29 pm

What a great tale and a great set of photos. Keep it up, 28mm fl looks great on these.

Charles Morgan
    November 20, 2018 at 10:36 pm

Really gorgeous photos, thank you!

Camera Review Blog No. 28 – Nikon F – Alex Luyckx | Blog
    May 17, 2019 at 3:19 pm

[…] Further Reading Don’t just take my word on the Nikon F, check out these other reviews of this classic camera. – Mike Eckman Dot Com – Nikon F Review – 35mmc – Five Frames with my dear Nikon F […]