5 Frames with a Pentax Spotmatic – By Wesley Fortin

This past summer I did a road trip to visit my parents in southern Alberta. My insatiable desire for adventure prompted me to convince my folks to visit the provincial park Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump. This provincial park has rich historical significance to the aboriginal peoples of southern Alberta and is home to some stunning views.

I chose to try out a roll of Kodak Vericolor III (160 ISO) in My Pentax Spotmatic which expired in 2000. This 18 year old film had been freezer stored most of its life but I thought I would still overexpose it by one additional stop to be safe. As soon as I returned from the trip I refrigerated my exposed roll until I developed it at home in the Unicolor C41 Kit. Here are a few of the keepers from the day. The last two frames were exposed to some light leaks when I accidentally opened the back of my camera. To be honest I love the results created.

My website is www.westinphoto.com

Become a Patron of 35mmc

35mmc will always remain free for anyone to read. Patreon simply offers the opportunity for those who’d like to support me in the process of growing the site to chuck me a few quid a month to help out.

Think of it like a magazine subscription that you don’t have to pay, but if you do, the magazine will get bigger and better quicker!

Thanks in advance!

(there are also perks via Patreon for those who do support me)

Art Tafil
    January 30, 2018 at 5:06 pm

All nice pics. Many folks have never used Pentax cameras or SMC Takumar or SMC Pentax lenses.
    These are some of the finest lenses that were ever made for the general market.
    Along with my Leica M & R glass and bodies I’ve never abandoned my Pentax equipment.
    Currently it is limited to my trusty Pentax LX with several fine SMC lenses.
    I recently viewed some of my old Ektachrome slides I shot with an old Pentax Spotmatic ESII and I was amazed with the clarity and color saturation.
    I was in Montana on a business trip and got some great shots of the Glacier National Park area. I’m kicking myself for ever getting rid of that ESII.

Callum
      January 31, 2018 at 12:08 am

I agree with the sentiment around Takumar lenses, I love the 35mm F3.5 and 50mm F1.4 which I own. The problem I’m having is finding an appropriate body to use them on. My ME Super doesn’t quite cut it due to the lack of auto aperture stop down, although I like everything else about it. Any suggestions?

Wesley Fortin
        February 2, 2018 at 3:18 am

I’ve tried the adapter on my ME super as well and it doesn’t quite work the same. It’s too bad because I love the Super.

ScottP
        April 6, 2018 at 5:15 am

Any Spotmatic will give you auto aperture stop down. If your lenses are the later SMC or Super Multi Coated types, a Spotmatic F will give you that, and wide open metering, too.

Wesley Fortin
    January 31, 2018 at 12:26 am

I couldn’t agree more Art. The SMC lenses are incredible.

Christopher Pattison
    January 31, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Good images. Love the grain. I recently purchased a Pentax SV with the standard Takumar 55mm. It has been something of a revelation for me. Equipment of the highest order and beautiful to look at too. I just had to get a Spotmatic F and 35mm lens.

Wesley Fortin
    February 2, 2018 at 3:15 am

Thanks Christopher. I too love the 55mm.

Peter Boorman
    March 18, 2018 at 3:03 pm

I went from a Zenith E to a Spotmatic because of the mount being the same and was completely sold. Then from there to an MX, and later several LXs and various other Pentax bodies, because of the handling and the truly wonderful glass. I still use my Takumar lenses (with adapters on my X-Pro and my GXR) and the K-mount ones (on a Pentax dSLR as well as the LX bodies.)
    I had three Spotmatics (one for colour, one for B&W and one just in case) and worked them really hard – including taking one into the desert in Iraq for seven months. I still admire their build and handling, and take one out now and then just to hold it.
    The last few weeks have been a real nostalgia trip with these Five Shots With articles covering several cameras that have memories for me 🙂