5 Frames with a Zorki 4K – By Dale Willetts

First I have an admission to make….. I have an addiction. There, I said it. Luckily my addiction is to collecting film cameras, so while it can be as expensive to feed as other addictions it isn’t as destructive (to anything but my wallet).  On a more serious note I do have a lot of cameras,  mostly 35mm compacts, though with a good selection of other types and formats thrown in for good measure.

Not all of them have been, or probably ever will be used by me, but I do like to occasionally take one of the “interesting” (to me)  ones out to put a roll or two through.  That being said, there are a few favourites that see a lot of regular use.  This is about one of those favourites, the Zorki 4K with 50mm Jupiter-8 f2 lens.

It’s fair to say that I love this camera, the way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it handles,  even the results (when I don’t mess up too badly).  Though I will admit that re-winding the film and replacing it with a fresh one is slower and slightly more awkward than more modern cameras due to the rewind being a knob rather than the more common swing out arm type.

My usual film of choice is Fomapan 100 Classic black and white.  This film has nice grain and lots of exposure latitude.  I’ll often shoot images on one roll at different ISO settings,  at everything from ISO 50 up to ISO 800.Then stand develop for 2 hours in 1+100 Rodinal.  Negatives are then scanned on my Epson V600 (best photography related buy in years).  All the shots here were taken in Worcester, UK.

The reflection and couple walking away shots were shot at ISO 200,  the police cap at ISO 400, the gent by the steps at ISO 50 and the statue at ISO 800.  I find that the stand developing technique compensates wonderfully for the slap dash way I treat my ISO and exposures.

I hope looking at this has been worth your time.
Cheers.

Or, for $2 a month you can get access to my behind the scenes micro-blog over on Patreon!

Either way, want to help out, become a patron of 35mmc here:

Cal Stewart
    May 30, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Great Post. In particular, I was impressed to see the results from Fomapan and Rodinal. It makes for a pretty great combination. Nice work.

Dale Willetts
      May 30, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Thanks very much Cal.

Alan Logan
    May 30, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Like not only your “ISO mix” approach on one film but the subject variety as well Dale. I have three FSU camera bodies and lenses (Zorki 1c, Zorki 3, FED 3. Jupiter 3, 8, 12, Industar L61 & I-50). Must try your developing technique.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Alan
    Sydney – Australia

Dale Willetts
      May 30, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Alan, I have a couple of Feds too, a 4 and a 5b.
      The developing really is easy. I suppose its really a semi-stand development as I agitate for 30 seconds at the start, then 3 agitations every half hour. Also if you dev 120 film I’d advise pre-washing to remove the anti halation dye layer.

paul snaith
    May 30, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Hello Dale, I agree with what Cal said above about the Fomapan and Rodinal. Really good shots too. I too am a film camera addict, so know that you are not alone in your chosen form of madness :). I too have some Zorkis but am yet to use them – they need adjustment etc first. particularly like the Police cap picture – it goes well with the vintage car.

Dale Willetts
      May 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Paul, it’s always nice to know you’re not the only one with a problem 😉

Paulo Moreira
    May 30, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Very nice pics, congrats!

Dale Willetts
      May 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Thanks Paulo.

Charles Morgan
    May 31, 2018 at 9:42 am

Lovely – I’ve not had much joy with pushed film and Rodinal semi stand, but it may be simply I don’t let it go long enough – 2 hours seems plenty. Great results and really atmospheric combination!

Dale Willetts
      May 31, 2018 at 10:09 am

Thanks Charles,
      Most people seem to stand for an hour usually, but I’ve found that I often have less than stellar results. Often it seems that the negs aren’t fully developed or are dirty/foggy. 2 hours however seems to give more consistently good results. For me at least.

Terry B
    May 31, 2018 at 11:50 am

My first ever r/f camera was the predecessor to yours, the Zorki 4, which I purchased new around 1972, at roughly £22, if I recall correctly. I was very pleased with the results using slide film and subsequently traded it in not long after to get the Kiev 4 for its built-in meter and which I also perceived as a superior camera.

I’m really impressed with your Fomapan images, considering on the same roll you’ve pulled it one stop and and pushed it three. This seems quite a film/developer combination processed this way. But that two hour wait!!!

Dale Willetts
      May 31, 2018 at 11:59 am

Thanks Terry.
      I try to have 3 tanks developing in a rota, 1st tank starts then at the first half hour agitation I start the 2nd tank. Then at the second agitation of the 1st tank the 3rd tank starts. So its actually THREE! hours :p
      That said they usually sit on a table next to my pc so I can watch films/youtube or do “stuff” while they do all the work 😉

Terry B
        June 3, 2018 at 11:26 am

Dale, at my age I’d have fallen asleep before then!

5 frames with a Konica C35 - by Dale Willetts - 35mmc
    June 29, 2018 at 2:30 pm

[…] I said when I wrote about the Zorki 4K, I have a lot of cameras. Some have never been used, some see occasional use and some are used […]

The Cosmic 35 and a multiple exposure project - By Dale Willetts - 35mmc
    January 21, 2019 at 8:01 am

[…] cameras. I have a couple of Feds, A couple of Lubitels, My Zorki 4k that I’ve written about here and way more Zenits than any one person really needs. So of course, when I was looking through my […]